Tuesday, June 7, 2011

God Wants To Hear From You

I have gone to church most of my life and I am still going to church. Over the years the churches have changed a few times and through different seasons I have faced them differently and I have had different specific needs as my walk in Christianity has evolved over the years.

Some of the churches were very good for education or motivation. Some are huge social clubs.

I have realized that I spend a lot of time volunteering and getting involved in events and allowed my spiritual life to languish in all the activity. What's missing is something I have allowed to slip out of my relationship with God - actually slowing down to talk to Him! How much of a relationship is it when you never call or visit someone? Do you realize God wants to hear from you?

I have a spiritual hunger for more. There are prayers in church, but do they really teach you how to pray? We sing songs but do we really worship?

I believe sincere, worshipful prayer is the path to a richer and more dynamic relationship with God. I like to go off by myself after sunset to a discreet part of my yard. I need space to pace back and forth. Most of it is praise and worship. I get so caught up in how amazing God is and all of the things He has done. There is really no end of things to give God praise for and you can never run out of personal blessings in your life to thank Him for. This leads to a time of just preaching to myself as I marvel at how good He is. Finally I share what is on my heart. I will talk to Him intimately about how I feel, what I fear and where I think I am missing it. All of this will take anywhere from a half an hour to an hour.

I am not saying this is any type of recipe or the "correct" way to talk to God. It is what I do. I wanted to share it with you as an example of what I mean by sincere, worshipful prayer. God made you unique. Your time with Him should be as unique as you are. You have your own voice and God wants to hear it.

If you don't regularly set aside time to pray, I challenge you to try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment